Friday, April 1, 2011

Welcome to ITYWLTMT – A Blog Dedicated to Classical Music

Welcome to what I hope will be a regular (weekly?) set of postings on Classical Music.

I can hear the rumblings and mumblings in the Blogosphere now: here we go again, another classical music blog from another wannabe music expert.

Let me state up front: I am not a music expert, nor am I a trained musician. What I am, however, is a music collector and (in my own mind) a music enthusiast. I have been collecting music for well over 30 years – I own about 200 vinyl records, about an equal number of CDs and countless number of digital tracks that I have acquired during this time. Last time I checked, my music collection has over 7500 tracks spanning 1000 albums – not too shabby. The musical genres that I collect are mainly “classical fare” (from the early baroque to contemporary), jazz, blues and assorted eclectic styles (like musicals, new-age/instrumental, etc.).

As I am based out of Canada – where Canadian content on the radio is de rigueur – even at CBC Radio 2 – you will find a disproportionate amount of music by Canadian performers and composers in my collection. I am not apologetic about this; consider it my contribution to Canadian content on the Internet!

My cunning plan is to post a regular podcast (typically 60 to 90 minutes) where I allow my followers to “sample” some of my collection. I do this for my own amusement; as I do not have financial ambitions here… As I organize my music, I have found that looking for ways of grouping titles “programmatically” is not only a good way of organizing my collection, but also a nice “brain challenge”. In short, my postings will be “programmatic”. I will organize my samples either along “themes”, or by composer, or any which way that strikes my fancy. I hope that, as the weeks go by, you will better understand what I mean…

Finally, I don’t quite know if I will be “preaching to the desert” or if there are people who will come here and hear what I have for them. I will give this a 10-week go, and hopefully people will either post comments against the blog or send me e-mails, letting me know that they are “listening” and (hopefully) like this stuff.
This posting, therefore, is a bit of a warning shot, as I am still getting organized. As I write this, I have a good set of podcasts and postings planned in my brain for my 10-week trial period.

Stay tuned – as I think you will love this music too!

No comments:

Post a Comment